14 November, 2007

Something that really bothers me...

...and it's been on my mind a lot these past few days.

I fully realize that we live in a very entertainment-driven society here in the US. I further understand that the pursuit of knowledge isn't exactly the most popular exercise. But even with these things in mind, I have to vent a little- an expression of frustration more than anything, I suppose.

Do this for me, and maybe you'll see why I'm feeling that frustration. Go find a dozen of your friends, family, or co-workers. Ask each of them who Britney Spears' ex-husband is. Ask who the stars of Sex and the City are. Maybe even ask them who's on the cover of People magazine this issue, or when the new season of House starts. Odds are, you'll get correct answers about 75% of the time, if not more.

Now ask these same people any or all of these questions: What is the Hubble Space Telescope, and where is it located? What's the Huygens Probe? What country launched the orbiter that is currently sending us beautiful HDTV shots of the lunar surface? How are stem cells harvested? What and where is the Ionosphere? What does E=MC^2 really mean? I imagine you'll be very lucky to get a correct response to 1/4th of those queries. I find that pretty damned disturbing.

I don't claim to be a genius. I don't even claim to be educated. What I do claim is at least some awareness of the REAL world. Things that matter, both to our present and our future. So, please- do something I try to do every day- visit one of the links over to the top right, and share something you learn with someone around you. Viruses spread this way, and just maybe awareness and knowledge will, too.

No comments: