26 December, 2007

Well, that's over

I'll be the first to admit to not really caring much for the holiday season. I don't hate it- and I'm not the Grinch personified- but I just don't actually like it. All the goodwill and cheer and such doesn't inspire me, doesn't give me a warm feeling at all, mainly because it's countered by the fact that Christmas and the shopping frenzy it incites tends to bring out the absolute worst in everyone, disguised beneath a very thin patina of false humanity and charity. Maybe I am the Grinch. I don't honestly know, but I do I'm very glad when it's over each year and people can go back to being themselves.

With that said, I'll also confess that I use the season as an excuse to spend some money on myself. This year was no exception, and I went out and bought my long- watched copy of Rock Band for my trusty PS2. Talk about delusions of grandeur- now not only can I hold a plastic guitar and dream of being David Gilmour or Eddie Van Halen, but I can also play at the fantasy of being Neil Peart, Geddy Lee, or Courtney Love (wait a second here...no cracking wise. One of the songs featured on the new game is by Hole, and that was the first vocalist I thought of. Shut up.). All in all, it's a lot of fun. I do have to repress a laugh, though, when 'Don't Fear the Reaper' starts, and all I can think of is Will Farrell and his cowbell. I think that song is spoiled for me forever.

Between that, slogging through The Witcher, and working on my little 1/90th scale DC-3, it'll be pleasantly busy. Whether I'm the Grinch or not, I hope everyone had a pleasant and peaceful holiday- and that the new year brings more of the same.

No comments: